Overall Index --
Gregorian Index --
Posix Time Index
The following are a number of terms relevant to the date-time domain.
A taxonomy of temporal types:
- Timepoint -- Specifier for a location in the time continuum.
Similar to a number on a ruler.
- Timelength -- A duration of time unattached to any point on the
- Timeinterval -- A duration of time attached to a specific point in
the time continuum.
And some other terms:
- Accuracy -- A measure of error, the difference between the reading
of a clock and the true time.
- Calendar System -- A system for labeling time points with day level
- Clock Device -- A software component (tied to some hardware) that
provides the current date or time with respect to a calendar or clock system.
- Precision -- A measure of repeatability of a clock.
- Resolution -- A specification of the smallest representable
duration (eg: 1 second, 1 century) for a clock/calendar system or temporal
- Stability -- The property of a class which says that the underlying
representation (implementation) associated with a particular (abstract) value
will never change.
- Time System -- A system for labeling time points with higher
resolution than day-level.
Some standard date-time terminology:
- Epoch -- Starting time point of a calendar or clock system.
- DST -- Daylight savings time - a local time adjustment made in some regions during the summer to shift the clock time of the daylight hours
- Time zone -- A region of the earth that provides for a 'local time'
defined by DST rules and UT offset.
- UTC Time -- Coordinated Universal Time - Civil time system as
measured at longitude zero. Kept adjusted to earth rotation by use of leap
seconds. Also known as Zulu Time. Replaced the similar system known as
Greenwich Mean Time. For more see http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/UT.html
- TAI Time -- A high-accuracy monotonic (need better term) time
system measured to .1 microsecond resolution by atomic clocks around the
world. Not adjusted to earth rotation. For more see http://www.bipm.fr/enus/5_Scientific/c_time/time_server.html
Some more experimental ones:
- Local Time -- A time measured in a specific location of the
- Time Label -- A tuple that either completely or partially specifies
a specific date-time with respect to a calendar or clock system. This is the
- Adjusting Time Length -- A duration that represents varying
physical durations depending on the moment in time. For example, a 1 month
duration is typically not a fixed number of days and it depends on the date it
is measured from to determine the actual length.
These are design sorts of terms:
- Generation function -- A function that generates a specific set of
time points, lengths, or intervals based on one or more parameters.
Last modified: Sat Oct 26 08:37:53 MST 2002
by Jeff Garland © 2000-2002